What is FIRST ® LEGO® LEAGUE Jr.?
FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®
Guided by two or more adult Coaches, teams of up to 6 members in grades K to 4 explore a real-world scientific problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc. In the process, teams learn about teamwork, the wonders of science and technology, and the FIRST LEGO League Jr. Core Values, which include respect, sharing, and critical thinking.
Can I Start my Own team?
Yes! You’ll need a few things to get started:
- 2 or more adult Coaches willing and motivated to guide the team through the discovery and exhibition season (and beyond) – no special technical experience is required
- Up to 6 students, ages 6 to 10, willing to put in time after school, usually one or two days per week
- A suitable meeting place, either public or private, that can accommodate the group, and has internet access
- LEGO elements to build your model
- A community sponsor(s) that will help fund your efforts and provide other support (grants are available)
- The desire to learn, explore, strategize, build comradery, share ideas and talents, make new friends, be accepted, and HAVE FUN!
To get started, follow FIRST’s Guide to Starting an FLL Jr. Team.
Can I Join an existing Team?
Yes! There are over 20 Teams currently operating in and around Ottawa, Ontario. A full list of teams can be found here.
To learn more about Coaching an FLL Jr. Team and how to become involved in the local FIRST Community, check out our full guide.
When does FIRST ® LEGO® League Jr. happen?
Information for the FIRST® LEGO® League Jr. season challenge is released in early August. Teams generally form, registration opens, and official season start is in August. The discovery and project season runs from August through May, and Expos in Ontario are held in Late November/Early December. Expos allow teams the chance to show off what they have learned. Some teams will receive an invitation to the FIRST LEGO League Jr. World Festival Expo in Detroit, Michigan at the end of April.