What is FIRST LEGO LEAGUE Jr.?
FIRST LEGO League Jr. is designed to introduce STEM concepts to kids while exciting them through a brand they know and love − LEGO®
Guided by two or more adult Coaches, teams of up to 6 members in grades K to 4 explore a real-world scientific problem such as food safety, recycling, energy, etc. In the process, teams learn about teamwork, the wonders of science and technology, and the FIRST LEGO League Jr. Core Values, which include respect, sharing, and critical thinking.
Are there Teams in my Area?
Yes! There are over 20 Teams currently operating in and around Ottawa, Ontario. A full list of teams can be found here.
If you would like more information or would like to get in touch with any of these teams, please contact Christine Bibic, Regional Partner for FIRST LEGO League Junior in Ontario at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I Start my Own team?
Yes! You’ll need a few things to get started:
- 2 or more adult Coaches willing and motivated to guide the team through the discovery and exhibition season (and beyond) – no special technical experience is required
- Up to 6 students, ages 6 to 10, willing to put in time after school, usually one or two days per week
- A suitable meeting place, either public or private, that can accommodate the group, and has internet access
- LEGO elements to build your model
- A community sponsor(s) that will help fund your efforts and provide other support (grants are available)
- The desire to learn, explore, strategize, build comradery, share ideas and talents, make new friends, be accepted, and HAVE FUN!
To get started, follow FIRST’s Guide to Starting an FLL Jr. Team.
When does FIRST LEGO League happen?
Information for the FIRST LEGO League Jr. season challenge is released in early August. Teams generally form, registration opens, and official season start is in August. The discovery and project season runs from August through May, and Expos in Ontario are held in Late November/Early December. Expos allow teams the chance to show off what they have learned. Some teams will receive an invitation to the FIRST LEGO League Jr. World Festival Expo in Detroit, Michigan at the end of April.
What is the time commitment?
As a Coach or adult Volunteer, you should be meeting with your team at least once per week during the discovery and creation season (12 sessions). You and your family can decide together how much time you can devote to the program.
Where/When are the Competitions?
Each year, several FLL Jr. Expos are held across Ontario from November to January. The Expos closest to Ottawa are:
- Kingston Regional Expo – Kingston, ON – November 18, 2017
In addition, FLL Jr. teams are often invited to show off their projects at FIRST LEGO League and FIRST Robotics Competition events across Ontario, which run from November to April.
Every year, FLL Jr. teams from around the world are chosen at random to represent their country and invited to attend the FIRST Championship event in Detroit, Michigan at the end of April.
- FIRST Championship – Detroit, MI, USA – April 25 – 28, 2018