Volunteers are the backbone of any event, and include crowd control, registration, and merchandise selling at the entry-level, all the way up to Master of Ceremonies, Referees, and Volunteer Coordinator for those with many years of FIRST® experience. Every position is critical to the event’s success, ultimately creating a seamless and incredibly fun experience for the teams and spectators in attendance.
Official FIRST events, including FLL Jr. Expos, FLL Tournaments, and FRC District Events, generally run from November to April each year, and are held in cities across Ontario and beyond.
Register to Volunteer
There are a few steps you’ll need to take to become a FIRST Volunteer:
- Register for a FIRST account
- Complete your User Profile, as well as the Consent & Release Form
- Complete the Youth Protection Program screening
- Search for and Select an Event
- Submit your Application
Check out the full Step-by-Step Guide to Volunteer Registration for more detailed instructions. For more information regarding upcoming events, as well as the volunteer positions available, check out the programs listed below.
Youth Protection Program
To ensure the safety of all participants, mentors, volunteers and spectators, every volunteer must complete the Youth Protection Program. This includes a police background check every 4 years, as well as online training courses that cover topics like creating a safe environment, how to identify abuse, and the proper method to report code of conduct violations. For more information, please see the Canadian Section of the YPP Screening Guide, or the FIRST Resource Library.
FIRST ® Robotics Competition (FRC)
There are 10 District Qualifier events held across Ontario which run from Late February to Early April:
- Durham College District Event (Oshawa, ON) – March 1st, 2019
- Humber College District Event (Toronto, ON) – March 8th, 2019
- Ryerson University District Event (Toronto, ON) – March 14th, 2019
- Georgian College District Event (Barrie, ON) – March 15th, 2019
- University of Waterloo District Event (Waterloo, ON) – March 21st, 2019
- York University District Event (Toronto, ON) – March 22nd, 2019
- North Bay District Event (North Bay, ON) – March 28th, 2019
- Windsor-Essex Great Lakes District Event (Windsor, ON) – March 28th, 2019
- University of Western Ontario District Event (London, ON) – April 5th, 2019
- McMaster University District Event (Hamilton, ON) – April 5th, 2019
The top-ranked teams are invited to attend the Ontario Provincial Championships held at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre in Mississauga from April 10th – 13th, 2019.
Are you a Carleton University student travelling to an Ontario FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) event this season to either Volunteer or Mentor a Team? If yes, CU FIRST wants to give you a helping hand!
From transportation to accommodations, travelling to a FIRST events to volunteer or mentor a FRC team can be quite expensive. That’s why we’re very excited to offer Carleton students some financial relief and officially open applications for our Volunteer & Mentor Travel Grants! Learn more about Travel Grants.
With no FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) District events held locally in the National Capital Region, the closest volunteering opportunities are over 300 KM away. To help lower transportation costs, CU FIRST is organizing carpools to events across Ontario this season for all FIRST volunteers living in and around Ottawa. If you are interested in participating in our carpooling program, either as a Driver or as a Passenger, please send us an email at: email@example.com.
Advice & Assistance
Our Executives have decades of combined FIRST experience, and they’re ready to provide advice and assistance to any new Volunteers! From registering, to choosing an Event, to finding the right role for you, our Executives can help walk you through the entire process. To get in touch with us, you can fill out our Contact Form, reach out to an Executive directly, or visit us in-person during our Office Hours.
FIRST ® LEGO® LEAGUE (FLL)
Dozens of Qualifying Tournaments are held across Ontario each year from November to January. The Tournaments closest to Ottawa are:
- Ottawa FLL Qualifying Tournament (Ottawa, ON) – December 2nd, 2018
- Kingston FLL Qualifying Tournament (Kingston, ON) – November 17th, 2018
- North Bay FLL Qualifying Tournament (North Bay, ON) – December 8th, 2018
- Durham FLL Qualifying Tournament (Whitby, ON) – December 1st, 2018
The winners from these tournaments will advance to either the East or West Ontario Provincial Championships in early-2019:
- FLL Ontario Provincial Championship East (Oshawa, ON) – January 12th, 2019
- FLL Ontario Provincial Championship West (Waterloo, ON) – February 9th, 2019
FIRST ® LEGO® League Jr. (FLL Jr.)
Several FLL Jr. Expos are held across Ontario each year from November to January. The Expos closest to Ottawa are:
- To Be Announced
In addition, FLL Jr. teams are often invited to show off their projects at FIRST LEGO League and FIRST Robotics Competition events across Ontario, which run from November to April